Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Inspirational Parenting: ideas stemmed from Dinty W. Moore's "Son of Mr. Green Jeans"


Last week in English, we read an essay called “Son of Mr. Green Jeans” by Dinty W. Moore. This essay, in short, is about a man, reflecting on his youth. Specifically his relationship with his father, and how it was strained, as well as remembering how he used to watch television and wish some of the TV dads were his dad. Nearing the end he discusses how he thinks fatherhood should be, as well as how he fathers his own child. So, I am asked who or what is the most influential person or thing in my life? The one moment that has inspired me and pushed me to become the person I am today? What a difficult question to answer. There are multiple things that I feel have brought me to where I am today. Among crowning achievements and crushing disappointments, there is someone who stands out more than anything: my mother.
My mom, Cindy, has always been so kind and loving. I could be failing at something, but she still thinks I am great. I now know that when I was a child, we did not have much money, in fact, we were verging on poor…but I didn’t know it at the time. My mom did everything she could to hide that from my sister and me; so that we didn’t feel ‘different’ from other kids at school. She would take us to the mall to buy clothes and take us out to eat. She gave us a totally normal childhood, regardless of the financial ability of my family. I also remember, middle school, when my mom’s car got repossessed, we had to drive all the way to Evansville, Indiana to get it back. We just thought we were having a summer road trip, we did not know that our parents did not have enough money to pay their bills.
She bought my sister and me $300 prom dresses (twice!), when we definitely didn't have the money. She provided us with everything we ever wanted or dreamed of. In high school, and college, nothing changed for me, in fact we were best friends at times. I drove my parent’s car, they paid for my gas, paid for my cell phone, and I didn't have any bills. I had a relaxing and stress-free childhood, even early adulthood. I didn't start paying my bills until I was 23, and not because I had to, but because I wanted to: I had a great paying job with my own benefits.
After I started my nursing career, I lived with my parents for nearly two years. When I was too tired to drive home from work, I could call her before she goes to work, to ask her for a ride home, I would know, without a doubt, that she would drive the 40 miles (one way) to come get me, no matter when or no matter how far the trip. When my grandma was hospitalized, she took off work, and visited during the day and stayed every night. She did the same thing when my grandpa on my dad’s side was sick and in the hospital: she took off work and visited every day, for long periods of time, because the rest of his family lives out of state.  
Why is this so remarkable to me, when what I just explained is everything a mother should do for their child? I find her to be inspirational, because, my mom IS the perfect definition of a mom, and that is what makes her great. When she was my age, she aspired to be just like her mother, and when it is time for me to become a mother, I aspire to be like my mother. She has taught me to love everyone and to be patient and kind, and help everyone when I can. She taught me to be giving and a little mysterious, live for today, not for tomorrow. All of these things have influenced me to become a nurse. That has made me a better person and nurse.  Kids only get one mom, and they can’t ever change or upgrade; so I am blessed to have gotten such a good one. 

1 comment: